Friday, March 23, 2007

Mickling and Taxing

I haven't been posting about writing, but I have been writing. Not lots and lots, because I've been working on the taxes.

Our taxes are cumbersome, and every year I let everything slide till close to the deadline, despite promising myself, after filing the taxes, that this year will be different, because this year I'll keep up with the organizing and processing and spreadsheet entering on a weekly, or at least a monthly basis. Well, I've finally learned my lesson. This year will be different. ...

So that takes care of my free evenings. On and off, I've been taking my laptop to work and writing during lunch. The novel has reached the point where that's not so easy to do, though. I don't have large sections to write. Now I'm going through it it and tweaking and adding and subtracting small bits. I find that hard to do at work on the small laptop screen, for some reason. I need to be at home with hours to spend. So that's a bit of a problem, right now.

Also, we'll be going to Baton Rouge over the Easter weekend for a humongous gathering of my wife's family to celebrate my father-in-law's 85th birthday. (For his 80th, we all gathered at a fancy restaurant in New Orleans, but Katrina has changed things.) I might take a laptop, but I doubt if any writing will be accomplished. Maybe a grumpy blog post. On the bright side, seafood! Also, Abita beer, which is not bad at all.

I want to/must get the taxes done before we leave on that trip, and then when we come back, I'll be all freed up of immediate obligations and will be able to dive back in properly. That sounds just a little bit like, "Some day, when I have time, I'm going to write a novel, too." But not really.

No comments: