Sunday, November 22, 2009

David’s Definitions for January 2010

Peregrination

A journey, especially a journey on foot to a foreign country. The root is a Latin word that means foreigner. The word pilgrim comes from the same root. Peregrination is not a word you run into normally in modern English, but we do still speak of a peregrine falcon, which is called that because at one time it was standard practice to capture those birds on their first flight, or pilgrimage, from their nest.

(Will be published in the January 2010 issue of Denver's Community News.)

I'm collecting all of these at:
http://www.dvorkin.com/davidsdefs.html

9 comments:

TGirsch said...

Have you started a quest to find the most obscure words possible to define?

This word reminds me of something an old coworker used to say: "Never say 'utilize' when you can just say 'use.'" :)

TGirsch said...

In other news, I peregrinated to Mexico the first time I went there.

David said...

I haven't deliberately looked for obscure words. Sometimes, one pops into my mind and I realize that my understanding of it is fuzzy, or I wonder about its etymology, or about what might be a related usage -- in this case, why the bird is called a peregrine falcon.

I've been trying to find words or phrases that really are in use, for the most part.

TGirsch said...

I'm still a fan of "antidisestablishmentarianism."

David said...

Yeah, but everyone knows that one!

Anonymous said...

Hi there all, I just registered on this terrific forum and wished to say hi! Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

hi everybody


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

whats up everyone


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

Hi man

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!