Friday, October 03, 2008

Golly

I've been invited to address the Disproof Atheism Society* at Boston University on the topic "Why I Am No Longer a Jew," based on my essay Why I Am Not a Jew.

The previous speakers are a long and illustrious list, making me feel a tad out of place, since I'm neither illustrious nor long. Maybe I could compensate by doing some magic tricks? No, that would be inappropriate. And I don't know any magic tricks.

We were planning a longish trip to the East Coast in May, including a stop in Boston, so it would be nice if I could do the talk during that visit. We'll see if that works out.

* At first, I read the e-mail as coming from the Disproof of Atheism Society and wondered why they had contacted me.

4 comments:

TGirsch said...

Ha! I saw the title ("Golly") and just assumed that this was going to be some scathing post railing against the faux-folksiness of a certain Governor of a non-contiguous state...

Lahdeedah said...

I personally thought it was going to be a scathing, yet folksy, comment on our current financial ...whatever... it is.

David said...

tgirsch:

I can see why you'd think so, although the "Golly" was my actual reaction to the invitation.

As for Palin and her silly posing, if I were to post on the subject I'd probably fall into such foaming-at-the-mouth incoherence that I'd risk being mistaken for a Republican candidate.

David said...

lahdeedah:

But I know nothing about economics beyond "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer."

Oh, and one other thing: Economists obviously don't know anything about economics, either.