Thursday, July 26, 2012

Russian rights to Time for Sherlock Holmes

Amphora, a Russian publishing house in St. Petersburg, will be doing a Russian edition of my Sherlock Holmes pastiche, Time for Sherlock Holmes. They’ll be doing a print version (hardcover only, I think), with the option to do an e-book, mobile, and audiobook version of the Russian translation.

This will be part of a Sherlock Holmes series they’re planning. They’ll start with the canonical stories by Conan Doyle, and then they’ll do a number of SH books by other authors, including mine.

That book is my Little Novel Engine That Could. It just keeps on selling and selling and selling and … It was such fun to write, all those years ago (first published by Dodd, Mead in 1983), and it continues to provide me with these pleasant surprises.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I think it's great that there are more and more Russian translations of books at the market. Although reading a book in the language it was originally written in is kind of charming, you can enjoy it much more when you read it in your mother tongue, as you read through it without guessing or looking up too many words.

David said...

I've never been fluent in another language, so I don't know what it's like to read a book written in a foreign language in which one is fluent. But I did read books in other languages, years ago, and it was a chore rather than a pleasure, because of that guessing or looking words up.

I'd much rather relax and read a book that was translated into English by a really competent translator.