Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Is your computer watching you?

After a great deal of cogitation and extensive research using Google, I've come to a startling, indeed terrifying, conclusion.

The significance of the name "Windows" for Microsoft's operating system hadn't struck me before. But now I realize that it's not just a metaphor for a technology that "lets you see the world", as you could say. Just like the windows in your house, it also lets the world see you! Cleary, the NSA, the CIA, and the rest of the spookocracy are watching you through your computer -- through your Windows. It's so obvious when you think about it.

So, just as you wouldn't do certain things in front of the windows of your house, be very, very careful what you do in front of your computer. Or at least pull the blinds first, which in this case means wait for the screensaver to activate.

And don't think that you're safe just because you're one of those sneering, condescending Mac users. OSX, huh? Don't you know that the original name of the CIA was the OSS? You think that's a coincidence?

I'm still working on "Linux".


Update:

I should have explained that this was sparked by this bizarro post on Democratic Underground, which I dismissed as very silly (I'm the user named DavidD). So I posted the above stuff on DU here as a spoof of the other post. Some people seemed to take it seriously, though. Sigh.

2 comments:

Lahdeedah said...

I am now considering curtains for my screen :)

David said...

Perhaps you should look for a screensaver that mimics curtains being drawn across the screen. Surely one exists.