Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

Horrible event.

Daniel left a voicemail message to say he was okay. He takes (took) that bridge to and from the campus. Today, he drove over it an hour before the collapse.

Update: I guess he must have said half an hour, not an hour. In his Live Journal, he posted that he thinks it was actually more like 10 minutes, and that he felt the bridge shaking as he was driving over it. When I told Leonore about that, she was even more upset than she had been at first.

Curiously, this sort of runs in the extended family. When the Loma Prieta earthquake struck San Francisco in 1989, causing, among other damage, the collapse of part of the Oakland Bay Bridge, the husband of one of Leonore's nieces (I guess that makes him my by-marriage nephew by marriage) was driving across the bridge, felt something, looked in his rear-view mirror, and saw the car behind him drop from view; he had just passed over the section that fell down to the level below.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear it! :-)

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

That's great news!!! We haven't heard from my sister yet, but my mom assures me her family wouldn't have been on that bridge at that time in their normal routine.

Chris said...

I'm glad to hear Daniel's okay.

David said...

Thanks, everyone. We are sooooo relieved.

There's an update to the post that has some possibly interesting additional stuff in it.